Regional Customs
  • Hakodate
  • Tokyo
  • Yokohama
  • Nagoya
  • Osaka
  • Kobe
  • Moji
  • Nagasaki
  • Okinawa
Home > Nagasaki Customs > History of Nagasaki Customs

History of Nagasaki Customs

During the isolation period, (1641-1858)the Port of Nagasaki was the only port open to foreign countries in Japan, so all goods and cultures that came from abroad were through DEJIMA Island in Nagasaki.
At first, the TOKUGAWA SHOGUNATE managed all trading though NAGASAKI-KAISHO and MINATO-KAISHO were controlled by NAGASAKI-BUGYO. When the ANSEI treaties of commerce were enacted in 1858, Nagasaki, Kanagawa, and Hakodate ports were opened to foreign countries. It was then the UNJYO-SHO was established in Nagasaki, managing the collection of taxes and inspection of cargoes connected with foreign trade.

1571Trade begins with Portugal.
1636DEJIMA-island made by DEJIMA-merchants.
1698NAGASAKI-KAISHO eatablished.
1859Nagasaki-port opened to trade (along with Kanagawa and Hakodate).MINATO-KAISHO established.
1863MINATO-KAISHO changed the name to UNJYO-SHO.
1873Nagasaki UNJYO-SHO renamed Nagasaki Customs.
1892Customs flag created.
Customs flag
The Customs flag is made of the three colors, each with their own symbolization as follows:
Blue : sea and sky
White: land
Red : Customs as a connecting point
1909Moji Customs becomes independent of Nagasaki Customs.
1923Ferry between Japan and China enters service in Nagasaki Port.
1943Marine transportation bureau absorbs Customs.
1945Picture:Former building of Nagasaki Customs
Atomic bomb dropped. Former building of Nagasaki Customs suffers heavy damage.
8th U.S. Marine Corps takes over the Customs building.
1946Resumption of Japan Customs (Nagasaki Customs reopened as a branch of Moji Customs.)
1953Nagasaki Customs becomes independent of Moji Customs.(Sasebo, Miike, Misumi, Kagoshima)
1953AMAMI islands returned to Japan.
1969Picture:Nagasaki Customs
Present Nagasaki Customs building completed.
1996Toll-free telephone number against smuggling established.