Regional Customs
  • Hakodate
  • Tokyo
  • Yokohama
  • Nagoya
  • Osaka
  • Kobe
  • Moji
  • Nagasaki
  • Okinawa
Home > Export/Import > Customs Answer(FAQ) > 7305 Export/Import of Means of Payment, etc. (FAQ)

7305 Export/Import of Means of Payment, etc. (FAQ)

  When entering or departing Japan with means of payment exceeding ¥1,000,000(* 0.1 million JPY in a case that you are bound for North Korea)or its equivalent, you are required to submit to Customs declaration prior to your entry or departure.

1. Declaration must be submitted in the followings cases:
(1) When the total amount of the following exceeds ¥1,000,000
(* 0.1 million JPY in a case that you are bound for North Korea)
or its equivalent:
  • Cash (Japanese or foreign currencies)
  • Checks (including traveler's checks)
  • Promissory notes
  • Securities (stock certificates, government bonds, etc. )
(2) When precious metal (gold with over 90% purity) exceeds 1kg in total weight.

*Please note if you are going to import gold bullion (regardless of its purity or weight) and other items which value exceeds 200,000 yen in total, you have to fill in the form Declaration of Accompanied Articles and Unaccompanied Articles. (Consumption taxes etc. are imposed.)【Refer to thefollowing chart for declaration procedures】
Please contact a Customs officer for details.

        (Reference)As for the conversion rate of foreign currencies into Japanese yen, refer to Rate of exchange.
                       For stock certificates, you must declare either its current price, book value, or trade value, whichever is higher.

2. How to declare
・Fill out the address, name, and type and amount of payment on a “Declaration of Carrying of Means of Payment” and declare it to Customs at at the airport, etc.
  The form is available at Customs inspection areas in airports and seaports.

・Access NACCS (Nippon Automated Cargo And Port Consolidated System)page and declare online. User registration is required to declare.
 *New window will open when you click the link.
・ NACCS(Nippon Automated Cargo And Port Consolidated System)

If you import or export means of payment, etc. that are subject to import and export restriction under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, you must separately receive permission other than those indicated above.

(Article 67 of the Customs Law, Article 58 and 59 of the Customs Law Enforcement Ordinance, Article 19 Paragraph 3 of the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Control Law, Article 8-2 of Cabinet Order of the Foreign Exchange Order, and Article 10 of Ministerial Ordinance of the Foreign Exchange Order)


For consultations on customs procedures, please contact the nearest Customs Counselor.
Please see No. 9301 for inquiries.