Regional Customs
  • Hakodate
  • Tokyo
  • Yokohama
  • Nagoya
  • Osaka
  • Kobe
  • Moji
  • Nagasaki
  • Okinawa
Location:
Home > Okinawa Regional Customs > History of Okinawa Regional Customs

History of Okinawa Regional Customs

At the end of the Edo period, Hansei-jidai, Okinawa had a barrier called Zeibansho, which functioned as Customs and it controlled Shinko-boueki, tribute trading with China. This is the origin of Customs in Okinawa.

History
March 1886 (Meiji 19) Sub-Branch(Jurisdiction of Nagasaki Customs) was established in Iriomote Island.
May 1894 (Meiji 27) Naha Sub-Branch was established.
April 1899 (Meiji 32) Naha Sub-Branch was promoted to Naha Branch.
November 1943 (Showa 18) Zeikan system was abolished.
(Customs and Maritime Bureau became Maritime Transportation Bureau.)
September 1950 (Showa 25) Customs and Immigration Bureau was established in Okinawa Islands US Administrative Legal Affairs Division.
July 1951 (Showa 26) Ryukyu Customs and Naze Branch were established. (Naze changed its name to Oshima Branch in 1953, but was abolished in December, because of the reversion of the Amami Islands to Japan.)
August 1965 (Showa 40) Naha Customs, Tomari Customs and Naha Airport Customs were established.
May 1972 (Showa 47) Okinawa Regional Customs was established.(Reversion of Okinawa to Japan)
February 1975 (Showa 50) Ocean Exposition Sub-Branch(Abolished in May 1976) was established.
July 1989 (Heisei 1) Naha Free Trade Zone Sub-Branch was established. (Unten Sub-Branch and Okinawa Branch was abolished.)
July 1994(Heisei 6) Ishigaki Sub-Branch was promoted to Branch. Hirara Sub-Branch and Yonaguni Guard Post were added to the jurisdiction of Ishigaki Branch.