Regional Customs
  • Hakodate
  • Tokyo
  • Yokohama
  • Nagoya
  • Osaka
  • Kobe
  • Moji
  • Nagasaki
  • Okinawa
Location:
Home > Tokyo Customs > History of Tokyo Customs

History of Tokyo Customs

History of customs - It started with the end of national isolation policy

  During the Edo Period when Japan maintained a national isolation policy, the small island of Dejima in Nagasaki was the only port connecting Japan with other countries. Beginning with the Consular Convention between Japan and the United States of America concluded in 1854 (Ansei 1), the last days of the Edo Period, Japan opened one port after another to foreign countries.
In 1859 (Ansei 6), Unjosho was established at the ports of Nagasaki, Kanagawa, and Hakodate to conduct tax collection and diplomatic affairs. This was the forerunner of today's customs.
Later, on November 28, 1872 (Meiji 5), unjosho were uniformly renamed as "Customs" and thus the custom service officially started in Japan. In remembrance of that day, November 28 is celebrated every year as "Customs Memorial Day."

History of Tokyo Customs

  The history of the customs at the port of Tokyo dates back to October 1867 (Keio 3) when Tokyo Unjosho was established in Edo Tsukiji Teppouzu (today's Akashi-cho, Chuo-ku) by the Shogunate Government of Edo. The current Tokyo Customs dates from August 1953 (Showa 28) when it was established as an independent customs office with jurisdiction over the Tokyo metropolitan area in place of the Tokyo Customs Branch of Yokohama Customs.
Later, Saitama, Gunma, Yamanashi, Niigata, and Yamagata Prefectures were added to the jurisdiction of Tokyo Customs.

  The port of Niigata was opened in 1868 (Meiji 1) and the original office building of Niigata Customs Branch still exists in its original location. The building is now designated as an important cultural property and is open to public as Niigata Local Historical Museum.

Picture:Tokyo UnjoshoPicture:Old Niigata Unjosho
Tokyo Customs Chronological History
October 1867 (Keio 3) Unjosho was established in Edo Tsukiji Teppouzu by the Shogunate Government of Edo.
November 1872 (Meiji 5) Unjosho throughout the country were uniformly renamed "Customs."
August 1953 (Showa 28) Tokyo Customs was established (became independent from Yokohama Customs) with jurisdiction over Metropolis of Tokyo.
September 1953 (Showa 28) Tokyo Overseas Mail Sub-branch Customs and Tachikawa Sub-branch Customs were established.
August 1955 (Showa 30) Saitama, Gunma, Yamanashi, Niigata, and Yamagata prefectures as well as Niigata Customs Branch and Sakata Customs Branch, which had been under the control of Yokohama Customs, were added to jurisdiction of Tokyo Customs.
October 1955 (Showa 30) Shibaura Customs Sub-branch was established.
March 1964 (Showa 39) Headquarters building at Shinagawa Pier was finished. (Current building)
April 1966 (Showa 41) Harumi Customs Sub-branch was established.
April 1969 (Showa 44) Maebashi Customs Sub-branch was established.
March 1970 (Showa 45) World Trade Center Building Customs Sub-branch was established.
March 1972 (Showa 47) Ohi Customs Sub-branch was established.
April 1974 (Showa 49) Tokyo Air Cargo Customs Sub-branch was established.
May 1978 (Showa 53) Narita Airport Customs (Haneda Airport Customs Branch abolished) and Haneda Airport Customs Sub-branch were established.
August 1978 (Showa 53) Import air cargo custom clearance was computerized. (NACCS - Nippon Automated Cargo Clearance System)
June 1979 (Showa 54) Drug detector dogs were introduced.
January 1985 (Showa 60) Export air cargo custom clearance was computerized (NACCS Import Export Integrated Systems).
October 1987 (Showa 62) Tokyo Customs Canine Training Center was opened.
June 1990 (Heisei 2) Yamanashi Customs Branch Guard Post was established.

July 1990
(Heisei 2)

Yamagata Customs Sub-branch of Sakata Customs Branch was established. (Yamagata Customs Branch Guard Post abolished)
October 1991 (Heisei 3) Ocean marine cargo custom clearance was computerized. (Sea-NACCS)
March 1993 (Heisei 5) Sanjo Tsubame Customs Branch Guard Post of Niigata Customs Branch was established.
July 1993
(Heisei 5)
Passive dogs were introduced at Narita Airport.
April 1996 (Heisei 8) Saitama Area Office was established.
July 1998
(Heisei 10)
Narita Air Cargo Customs Sub-branch was established.
September 2000 (Heisei 12) Headquarters was moved to Aomi, Koto-ku.

 April 2002(Heisei 14)

Ota Customs Branch Guard Post of Maebashi Customs Sub-Branch was established.

 March 2003(Heisei15)

 Customs Procedure Entry System(CuPES) were introduced.

 March 2003(Heisei15)

 Tokyo Cstoms Container Inspection Center was established.

 March 2004 (Heisei16)

 Tokyo Customs  niigata Container Inspection Center was established.

 July  2004 (Heisei16)

 Narita Nanbu  Air Cargo Customs Sub-branch was established.

 January 2005 (Heisei17)

 Advance Passenger Information System(APIS) were introduced.

 October 2005(Heisei17)

 Tokyo Overseas Mail Sub-branch Customs was moved to Shinsuna, Koto-ku.

 March 2006(Heisei18)

 Tokyo Customs  Johnanjima Container Inspection Center was established.

 July 2009(Heisei21)

 Sado Guard Post was established.

June 2010(Heisei22)

 Harumi Sub-branch was closed.
 Haneda Sub-branch was closed,Haneda Branch Customs was established.